Saturday, March 3, 2012

Hey Papillon Lovers - What Collars Do You Use?

Papillons make wonderful pets but they're also very popular in the competitive agility world. I've been searching for an agility trainer that would come to my house. I've purchased some agility equipment but I'm not sure exactly what I'm doing and don't want to make matters worse, before I get the right instructor.
Holly

I've found that collars are one of the most important products to purchase. I'm fortunate in that I'm able to take all of my dogs to work with me. There are so many different collars out there it can be tricky to get the right one. Although Papillons aren't known to be yappy dogs, I have a couple that like to bark, so I've been experimenting with different bark collars, just for them. I've tried several ways to correct their behavior and a good bit of the time my tactics work but there are those times that nothing is going to stop them, such as when the neighbors cats torment my dogs by sitting on the top of the fence. The cats have learned not to come in the yard and I've warned the owner that I don't have leashes on them when they're in my own yard.

Abby, my deaf dog will wake me up in the middle of the night to go out and then I must have the bark collars on the (2) barkers. Inevitably something will be out there @ 4:00am, that they feel the need to bark at. I can't have barking when I'm on the phone with a clients or in the middle of the night. When I first got Abby, she was tiny and I started off with a harness and leash. Like I said, I've checked out a number of collars and there are always more, if these particular collars don't work, for my barkers. When I go to training classes, they insist on a collar and a leadtopdogpicks.com. I keep collars on all of my (8) paps, most of the time.
Abby

I never know when one will demand to go somewhere with me and I always want to have a collar on them. I keep leads and leashes in the car. Once I had several dogs in the car with me and the car broke down. It was much easier for me to get them all out of the car with their collars and leashes. I also have some customized and/or personalized collars and make sure that I keep ID tags on them, as well.

I was caught speeding on the way to work, last week, and had (5) dogs in the car with me. Typically, three of them will lay in my lap, one or two will look out the window and I have one that is always in the dog bed that I keep in the passenger seat. Once I had pulled over and they saw this stranger coming to the car it got chaotic. I was hoping he'd like them enough just to give me a warning, no such luck. Thank goodness I had collars on all of them because the officer could have had me get out of the car with my paps and want to see their rabies tags. It's imperative that I have my dog's collars on and their leashes ready for when we get to work.
Papillon Family

Now, before someone lectures me about letting my dogs loose in my car I know the potential risks. My office is only 3.5 miles away. I'm typically a very careful driver.

2 comments:

  1. Hi. I had recently adopted a papillon and was told by the owner not to use collars so often as it damages the hair behind the ears (where the hairs are rubbed against the collar). She has to be collared when I walk her, and her hair behind the ears has indeed started curling. Doesn't it happen to yours? Do i really need to get a show collar?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there and thank you for the question.

      I have pool alarms on my collars, otherwise I would not use them, as I don't show my dogs.

      Due to the stature of the Papillon, I mainly use harnesses when I walk them. This also prevents any damaged to their trachea, which is also easy to happen.

      If you are not going thru training or showing your Papillon, don't use a collar.

      Collars will rub behind the ears and cause mats and you'll need to continually brush/comb her ear hair, to keep the hair from curling and getting tangled.

      If training or showing is requiring it, then only use the collar when necessary.

      Using a harness is the safest way to go for any small dog and it's easier to control larger dogs with a harness, as well.

      See my article - http://petcenternews.com/forget-the-collar-pet-lovers-should-use-a-harness/

      If you have ANY Papillon questions, just ask. I have articles posted in a number of places. See the list, below...

      Good luck and I hope that this information helps.

      Jennifer F.
      http://PetCenterNews.com
      http://TopDogPicks.com
      http://MyPapillonWorld.com
      http://www.squidoo.com/grainfreedogtreats
      http://www.streetarticles.com/dogs/service-animals-a-papillon
      (I have a number of articles, on each of these sites, that may answer a lot of questions that you may have or things that you haven't thought of, yet)

      Delete