Monday, April 16, 2012

Week Old Puppies!

Well, Trixie is being a great mom.  This is the first litter, that I can remember, that I haven't had to bottle feed the babies or coerce mom to eat and drink.

She doesn't want milk but if I mix either Goat's milk or milk replacement with the water she'll drink it fine. It's really funny, if she is nursing when she drinks the milk supplement the pups appear to nurse more feverishly.  You'd that that it was going into her mouth and then into theirs. Seriously!

Emma 1wk old
These puppies are so healthy. Although they've only gained an ounce or so, they look twice as big. 

So that I can check on everyone and weigh the  pups daily, I have her in an open crate.  I'll be putting her in a different crate soon. She doesn't like the other dogs seeing her pups and prefers to be able to look around the cracked door to see what's going on, so I'll leave her there for now.  I'll need to put her in a soft sided crate so that the pups are more hidden from the others.  I don't know if that will make her happy or not.


I have her eating puppy food and taking a vitamin to make sure she stays healthy.  I still wish I could put some more weight on her.  She no longer wants the BilJak or Nature's Remedy that she used to love.  Oh well, at this point as long as what she'd eating is healthy, I'll worry about getting her back on the dry food later.

Both Abby and Marquis were present and watching when Trix was in labor.  Abby was so excited that her wagging tail was hitting the wall.  Of course, she didn't realize that she was making noise, since she's hearing impaired.   Marquis was on the other side of Trixie and she's such a pro that she thought that she needed to help.

No, I didn't let either one get too close and momma didn't appear to have a problem with the audience.  In the past I've had both dogs and cats hanging around during the birthing experience.  It seems to make the dam more accepting of the other animals, sooner.

She's now running back and forth from the pups, outside, to the kitchen or hang out on the couch.  She doesn't stay anywhere long before she goes back to her babies but I like the fact that she's moving around a little.

I've got to bring the other dogs around and hope things go as well.  I don't want her to revert back to staying in the crate and me having to literally pick her up and carry her outside but it's time that the other dogs get to hang around again.

Yes, these are my barking dogs.  It's been so peaceful! 

I do have a small collar on her and a leash close by.  That will help to protect the other dogs.

Wish me luck!

Interested in a puppy?  Let me know.  They'll be available for adoption in June.

No comments:

Post a Comment