Saturday, April 21, 2012

Growing Like Weeds!

Bailey, Jessie and Emma are growing like weeds.  My kids think they still look like tiny cows.  When all of our adult dogs go outside it looks like we have a herd of cattle.
2 wks old

Trixie is being a great mother and is enjoying being able to leave her pups and visit the family more and more.  Don't get me wrong, she spends most of her time in the crate/bed with her babies but she's checking every corner of the house out.  I'm concerned that she's considering moving the  pups, herself, under the bed.

It's been a few years since I had a litter and there are so many more options for whelping boxes and crates, beds and pens for growing pups.  Since I'm working working out of my house, I can be with Trix and am looking at all the different things for her growing puppies along with my adult dogs.

I'm getting creative and am going to move Trixie and her pups under the dinette table.  Using a flexible fencing/pen and the (4) legs of table, I'm going to enclose the area.  Hopefully, Trixie is ready for the pups to be closer to the adult dogs. We will soon see, as I want to tackle this project this weekend.  Everything needs to be set-up before the work week starts.  If this doesn't work.....?

I can't believe that I'm going to move her AND bring Diamonds into the fold.  I'm crazy.  Trixie is already going to be leery about being put in the open and  Diamonds is going to be shocked that these pups even exist!  Maybe I need to re-think this.

I've been playing more with the pups and getting them closer to the other dogs, watching Trixie's reaction the whole time. 

Oreo hiding from pups

This was Oreo's reaction to the pups. Too Funny!

I've got time so I'm going to check out the best 'next step' enclosure.  Previously, we used a 'home made' pen that worked well but there are some terrific looking pet crates, pens, carriers and more.

I keep having to remind myself that this isn't going to be their 'Forever' home, so I don't need to go crazy but the options appear to be endless! (It's kind of like when you 'flip a house'.  Yeah, you'd like "this" but you're not going to be living there!

Last year, I had 13 people that wanted puppies in May and I didn't have any.  I searched around for them and found pups for some of the adoptive families.  I should be a puppy broker, too!  Commission anyone? (didn't happen)

I hope that this year families can wait until June to get their new baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment