Saturday, April 28, 2012

We Can Walk.... Rather Quickly!

Pen and Tent
It's been another adventurous week...

Trixie has decided that she likes being closer to everyone.  The problem I'm having is that she decides to come visit, while the puppies are still nursing.  She drags them half way out of the pen and I have to go put them back in.

I placed a pup tent on one end of the pen and I put the pups in there at night. She does stay with them at night. During the day I have been placing them on a large sherpa bed but they've already learned that they can get climb out of that, after mom dragged them out of it for the 3rd time!

Emma 3 weeks old
It's more difficult for the pups to get in and out of the tent but Emma is determined.  She's the biggest pup.  I haven't seen the others succeed but I saw Bailey get about half way and I picked him up and put him on the open bed.

I found Emma drinking water.  I thought she was drowning!  I told myself last night that I needed to raise the dishes off the bottom of the pen.  She  put her head in her mom's food bowl next and continued licking her food until I put her mom  back in with them.  That satisfied her hunger issue.  She doesn't need to be eating dog food yet. 

Jesse 3 weeks
When they're chasing mom they move rather quickly.  If she's right outside the pen they'll come out of it.  They all walk better on the flat surface.  Jesse is not bashful when he's hungry. 

Bailey 3 weeks
Bailey comes over to the side of the pen and lets you pet him. I think he's such a cute puppy.

I finally brought Diamonds around Trixie and the pups. She walked right by them.  I know that she saw them but I think she knew that, if she valued her life, she needed to take it slowly.  Trixie smelled her and walked away.  That was that!

I still haven't left Diamonds with all the others and gone anywhere.  I'm still a little concerned that she and Oreo will gang up.  That's mother and son and he's gotten braver and more vocal, since she's been around.  Every once in a while Trixie will bark, for no reason, and they jump up and run toward the pen.  They listen to me and stop but I'm not real comfortable with leaving them all alone, yet.

Pet sitter to the rescue?

I turned around today and saw Marquis licking the puppies!  I thought it was Trixie and immediately looked to see where mom was.  I was concerned that we were going to have issues but there doesn't seem to be much of a problem with the other dogs.  My 'monster' child still isn't around, yet. 

HOLLY WILL BE COMING SOON!  She's SO fast and wants to be in the middle of whatever you're doing.  If she wasn't so cute she'd be better behaved but I've said that about all of my dogs. I need someone tougher and faster than me to work with her on agility.

Most breeders crate their dogs and they don't have these issues.  Most smart pet owners crate their dogs, too.  This is one of those times that I wish I had done the same!  I could actually mention a few of those times.  I strongly recommend crate training and I did start my first papillon that way.  My husband would 'free' them in the middle of the night.  I'm not sure when the dogs started training me.

We were taking pictures of the pups today and Trixie didn't like that much.  She just knew one was missing. She had to inspect the towel and then she tried to jump on the dining room table!  Trix inspected us, as well. Slim chance of there being a successful "dognapping" around here!

Trixie needs to learn how to count to (3) and then count her blessings!  (One of my paps had a litter of six (6)!)


No comments:

Post a Comment